Like most people, the whole reason I bought a slow cooker was to make delicious meals with very little effort. If you haven’t been using yours to make Pulled Pork, then you are missing out! You simply put in a thawed pork shoulder, add some BBQ sauce (in this case homemade) and onion and leave it alone for 5 hours. Pull the meat apart, let it sit for another hour and voila, dinner is serve! I have been doing this for years, but never with my own BBQ sauce. I decided it was time to step it up and I’m proud to say that I think I nailed it! I tried multiple attempts that included some big failures but came up with a real food recipe that my family of food critics enjoys!
Cooking the Pork
What You Need
– 2.5-3lbs Pork Shoulder- 2.5 cups homemade BBQ sauce- recipe below
– 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
– buns of your choice- (I go with sourdough)
– slow cooker
1. Place the thawed Pork Shoulder in the crockpot and pour in all of the BBQ sauce and chopped onion.
2. Turn Crock Pot on high for 5 hours.
3. Use two forks to ‘pull’ the pork apart. After the 5 hours your pork should pull apart with little effort. If this does not happen, cover for another 30minutes and try again. Pull the pork completely. If your shoulder came with a bone in it, take this time to remove the bone.
4. Cover and leave on high for 1 hour.
5. Serve and enjoy!
** BBQ SAUCE RECIPE BELOW**
(makes 2.5 cups)
– 2 cups ketchup
– 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
– 2 tablespoons coconut oil
– 3 tablespoons molasses
– 1/2 cup raw honey
– 1/2 cup maple syrup
– 2 tablespoons onion powder
– 1 tablespoon ground mustard
– 1 teaspoon sea salt
– 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1. In a medium saucepan mix together all ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
2. Simmer for 20minutes (uncovered), stirring occasionally.
3. Pour into a glass jar and refrigerate.
PIN IT FOR LATER