If you are like us, your dog(s) is a member of the family too. We’ve had Rain for about 4 years now and she has gone from being our “baby” to being the veteran in the family. She is a beautiful mutt, rescued from a kill shelter. When we first got her she was extremely timid, but now she is a happy, easy going dog and the most wonderful friend to my boys.
Since we know that what we eat directly affects our health, we also know that it is also important to feed our dog good, wholesome dog food. We were lucky to find a few good brands of dog food at a local, independently owned pet store, but what we had less ease finding was simple dry dog treats. My boys love giving Rain special treats, so we came up with this dry biscuit recipe that has only 5 ingredients. This way when we get in from a walk, or a play in the yard and the boys want to give her a few I don’t mind. She certainly doesn’t mind either 😀
This recipe yields approximately 24-30 biscuits when using a 3.5 inch dog bone cookie cutter.
– 1/2 cup of smooth organic peanut butter
– 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil
– 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
– 1 cup rolled oats
– 2/3 cup coconut flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl whisk together peanut butter, coconut oil and broth. If your coconut oil has been kept in a cold place, warm it on the oven first.
3. In a second bowl, combine the coconut flour and oatmeal. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
4. Place dough on flour dusted surface and roll the dough with a rolling pin. You want the dough to be about 1/4inch thick so the treats can bake evenly.
5. Use a bone cookie cutter to cut out cookies. Roll out leftover scraps and cut out as many as possible.
6. Place the cookies on unbleached parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
7. Let cool completely before giving it to your canine friend!
PIN IT FOR LATER